CATEGORY: AUTOMATION
PATENT
Automation
control system components with electronic keying features
(Rockwell Automation Technologies)
Publication date Jan 14, 2014
Also published as CN102591216A
Inventors Joseph G. Vazach
Original Assignee Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc.
Abstract
Systems
and methods for utilizing electronic keying features stored within one of the
components (e.g., I/O modules, terminal blocks, bases) of I/O devices may
include reading or detecting the electronic keying features using electronic
key identification circuitry in one of the other components of the I/O devices.
More specifically, the electronic keying features may include unique
identification keys that may be read or detected by the electronic key
identification circuitry to determine whether the components (e.g., a paired
I/O module and terminal block) are associated with each other and intended to
operate together. For example, the electronic key feature may be disposed
within a terminal block and the electronic key identification circuitry may be
disposed within an I/O module, or vice versa. In addition, the electronic key
feature and/or the electronic key identification circuitry may be removable
from their respective component of the I/O device.
BACKGROUND
The invention relates generally to the field of automation control systems,
such as those used in industrial and commercial settings. More particularly, embodiments
of the present invention relate to techniques for providing, accessing,
configuring, operating, or interfacing with input/output (I/O) devices that are
configured for coupling and interaction with an automation controller.
Automation controllers are special purpose computers used for controlling
industrial automation and the like. Under the direction of stored programs, a
processor of the automation controller examines a series of inputs (e.g.,
electrical input signals to the automation controller) reflecting the status of
a controlled process and changes outputs (e.g., electrical output signals from
the automation controller) based on analysis and logic for affecting control of
the controlled process. The stored control programs may be continuously
executed in a series of execution cycles, executed periodically, or executed
based on events. The inputs received by the automation controller from the
controlled process and the outputs transmitted by the automation controller to
the controlled process are normally passed through one or more I/O devices,
which are components of an automation control system that serve as an
electrical interface between the automation controller and the controlled
process.
Traditional I/O devices typically include a base configured to couple the I/O
device with a bus bar or the like, a terminal block for communicatively
coupling the I/O device with field devices, and an I/O module that includes
circuitry for performing communication functions and/or logic operations. During
maintenance of the I/O devices, the I/O modules and/or the terminal blocks of
the I/O devices may be removed from their respective bases to facilitate
performing diagnostics and troubleshooting of the I/O devices. Sometimes, when
the I/O modules and/or the terminal blocks are re-inserted into their
respective bases (e.g., once maintenance has been completed), one or more of
the I/O modules and/or terminal blocks may be inadvertently re-inserted into a
base for which it was not intended. As such, inadvertent mismatches of I/O
modules and terminal blocks may occur. As a result, unexpected control issues
may arise due to such mismatches. It is now recognized that it is desirable to
provide reliable features for preventing such inadvertent insertion of I/O modules
and/or terminal blocks into bases to which they are not intended.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION
The present invention addresses shortcomings of traditional I/O devices by
providing electronic keying features that may be stored within one of the
components (e.g., the I/O modules, the terminal blocks, the bases, and so
forth) of the I/O devices, and which may be read or detected by electronic key
identification circuitry in one of the other components of the I/O devices.
More specifically, the electronic keying features may include unique
identification keys that may be read or detected by the electronic key
identification circuitry to determine whether the components (e.g., a paired
I/O module and terminal block) are associated with each other and intended to
operate together. For example, in certain embodiments, the electronic key
feature may be disposed within a terminal block and the electronic key
identification circuitry may be disposed within an I/O module, or vice versa.
In addition, in certain embodiments, the electronic key feature and/or the
electronic key identification circuitry may be removable from their respective
component of the I/O device.
Free Full Text Source: http://www.google.com/patents/US8628004
No comments:
Post a Comment